I realized this is very short notice, and I take full responsibility for that – but the Virtual Worlds Education Roundtable will be holding its monthly “Other Gird” meeting this Thursday, March 11th – from 12:00pm Pacific Time for an hour. Our host grid this month will be the New Zealand Virtual Grid and Dr. Scott Diener.
In order to join us, you have to follow the instructions below. We hope to see you Thursday.
To request an account you need to first go to www.nzvwg.org. Select the Auckland University Portal as your NVWG portal. Our host has requested that everyone use their real name for the avatar, as that will simplify things. Of course, this is not a requirement, but a well considered request. The system is automated so the new account should be approve in very short order.
While waiting for your confirmation on your account, here is what you need to do in order to access the New Zealand grid. Please note, the following instructions are for a PC. Mac instructions are in the works. (you may want to print this out)
- Make a copy of the Second Life shortcut on your desktop
- Right click the new shortcut and select properties
- Select the General tab and rename the shortcut to ”NZVWG’ (change the text in the box at the top)
- Select the Shortcut tab and change the Target as below:
“C:Program FilesSecondLifeSecondLife.exe” -set SystemLanguage en-us -loginuri http://22.214.171.124:8002/ -loginpage http://nzvwg.org/opensim/loginScreen.php
- Click OK
- Double click the new shortcut and the Second Life viewer should start.
- Enter your NZVWG account First and Last names for your avatar and your account password.
- Do NOT log in to Home. Login to region Kapua 3
According to our host, apparently when you first rez your avatar will be a fluffy cloud, so you will need to create a new skin/shape/hair and clothes. Here are the steps he provided in order to do this. Its suggested you log in prior to the meeting to take care of this – as far in advance as possible. Once you are signed in to the New Zealand grid:
- Click the inventory button at the bottom right of the viewer. This will open an inventory window.
- In the inventory window, right click on Body Parts. Select New Body Parts -> New Shape.
- You can give your new body shape a name if you like.
- Do the same thing to create New Hair, Skin and Eyes.
- These new body parts should all now appear in your inventory under Body Parts.
- Select all the new body parts in your inventory (ctrl-click to select multiple) and right click to select Wear.
- Now right click on your avatar and select Appearance…
- The appearance window should now be displayed. Down the left hand side of this window are a number of tabs that you can select and these will give you options to change particular parts of your appearance. NOTE: At this point you will not be able to change your clothing
- From the shape tab you have the option to make your avatar male or female.
- Once you have customized your appearance, click Save All and close.
- You can now go back and change your appearance at any time by following steps 7 – 10